Chitika

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SuperUser For Me and My Droid

The lifespan on my Motorola Droid is dwindling. The Droid 2 and Droid X have been out for a while. The Droid X2 and Droid 3 are on the way. The Motorola Droid Bionic is soon to follow. Oh, what to do with my dusty Droid?

Hmm.. let's start hacking. I know that there have been ways to root the Droid for quite some time but I have been trying to behave. After all, it is my primary means of communication. What would I do if I bricked it?

Luckily, I was successful with using SuperOneClick to root my phone. After rooting I then decided to over clock the slow CPU using SetCPU. Both of these wonderful apps are available from xda developers. All I had to do was sign up, download them and follow the instructions. I had a couple of minor issues with SuperOneClick but these were resolved by following the discussions in the forum. Thank you xda.

My phone runs quick (800 Mhz) and smooth. The problems I was having with it slowing down to a snails pace is resolved. My applications respond better. Overall my experience is much better now.

Modding is not something everyone should attempt. You need patience and persistence as well as the ability to follow directions carefully. That being said, I will be looking forward to getting my next Android phone so I can mod the heck out of my Droid by installing custom ROMs. Hopefully it lasts that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment