Chitika

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Water Woahs! Great Greening.

Johnson City municipal water supply is the hardest water I have ever had to deal with. We have had so many issues with our faucets and plumbing crusting over from the lime scale that we should have invested in CLR. We have had our faucets replaced in both the bathroom and kitchen sinks. We have had the pipes replaced in both rooms as well. My wife is diligent in her battle with the hard water stains in the bathroom but the kitchen has been a tougher war.
 
As a solution we decided it was time to invest in a water softener. At the same time we decided it would be nice to have an energy efficient tankless water heater. After shopping around, doing some research and talking to some people we contacted Auchinachie Plumbing. This past Monday Auchinachie installed a Navien hot water heater & Kinetico water softener & fixed our other minor plumbing issues. It took about 8 hours for the two service technicians to get it all installed, adjusted, tested and the other items fixed but it was worth it.
 
I have to say that I am loving the non-chlorinated softer water. My wife really enjoys the fact that she has hot water for as long as it takes to wash all the dishes, take showers and do both the kids baths. Having my bathroom sink and bath drain properly is a plus. These were really worth the investment and will hopefully be worth it for years to come.
 
I still have my old water heater in the basement until I find a home for it. Perhaps I will put it on Craigslist. Out with the old and in with the new.
 
Since we moved into our house we have completed a bunch of energy efficiency improvements:
  • Replaced the refrigerator
  • Replaced the washer and dryer
  • Replaced the furnace
  • Replaced the hot water heater
We are getting greener every day and saving money in the long run because of it. Our electric and gas bills are fairly low compared to those around us. The investments are definitely paying off. The next big investment will be a hybrid vehicle of some sort for me to drive to work during the cold months of the year. During the summer I even ride my bike to work to save on fuel costs and to get excercise. I would not consider myself a green freak but I do appreciate the benefits it has for me, my family and the earth around us.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment